All of a sudden the garden is waking up. After many weeks of struggling to find at least one pleasingly picturesque ‘featured image’ for these Six on Saturdays that wasn’t a Viola, I found myself spoilt for choice today. Have I gone for the correct one? Hmm, I don’t know…
1. I very nearly went for this Iris, reticulata ‘Alida.’ Many of the feathery pale blue beauties started their lives in pots back in 2020 and 2021 before being moved to the borders. They’re one of my favourites but, alas, also popular with the slimy plant assassins of the night.
2. While spring flowering bulbs usually do pretty well, I don’t tend to have much success with the summer flowering lot. Undeterred, I’m having another go, this time with these Gladioli.
3. I have a feeling this Narcissus may also have been a Wilko purchase. Possibly ‘Martinette,’ like the ‘Tête-à-tête’ that featured last week it seems a tad early.
4. Planted back in the autumn of 2020, the lollipop Bay hasn’t required any cosseting this winter so far. The leaves have yet to be sampled for culinary purposes but I’m going to give them a go this year.
5. Another Iris of short stature from, yes, you’ve guessed it, Wilko. I’m hoping there might be the odd yellow one lurking in this pot.
6. And finally, the ‘featured image’ plant: a white Crocus. Quite a few have popped up in the lawn, surviving another soggy winter and miraculously surviving tramplage by a big-footed gardener. What was that? Another Wilko purchase? Err… yes, yes it was.
They were my Six on Saturday. For more Sixes on Saturday, from all around the world, take a look at the site of the chap who started it all over at https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com.